interACT Project（the international center for Advanced Communication Technologies）
NAIST established a platform to enhance its international presence and stimulate research and education by exchanging students and researchers in an environment of scientific excellence. Acting upon this, NAIST became a member of the interACT consortium（the international center for Advanced Communication Technologies） on February, 2012, joining other world-leading research universities in the field of information science and technology.
This program was established in 2004, initially to support collaborations between Carnegie Mellon University and Karlsruhe Institute of Technology. Since then, it has expanded to include eight leading research universities within the EU, US and Asian regions, specifically in computer and information sciences (i.e. speech translation, robotics, language processing, and speech processing). We aim to further advanced research on technologies that will support and facilitate global communication, cooperation and exchange. We have had more than 100 students and researchers take part in this program and hold annual summer workshops.
2. The eight consortium members are:
- Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT: Germany)
- Carnegie Mellon University (CMU: USA)
- Hong Kong University of Science & Technology (HKUST: China)
- Waseda University (Japan)
- National Institute of Information and Communications Technology (NICT: Japan)
- Fondazione Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia (IIT: Italy)
- University of Southern California (USC: USA)
- Nara Institute of Science and Technology (NAIST: Japan)