Announcement of Tenure-Track Faculty Position Opening, Microbiology in the forefront of Bioscience (Host-Microbe Interaction or Product Design) Nara Institute of Science and Technology, Japan
Nara Institute of Science and Technology (NAIST: http://www.naist.jp/en/) invites applications for a tenure-track position (Associate Professor) supported by "Program for Promoting Enhancement of Research Universities" of Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT). NAIST is seeking an excellent and ambitious candidate who can promote cutting-edge and interdisciplinary research in the field of "Microbiology in the forefront of Bioscience" for host-microbe interactions or product design based on the molecular biology, cell biology, biochemistry, genome science and synthetic biology. The successful applicant will be provided with an independent research environment that includes a startup research fund. The appointee recognized as competent after both the midterm evaluation held in the third year and final evaluation in the fifth year, will be promoted to the status of a full-time tenured Professor.
This public invitation is the same post as the recruitment presented at "Leading Initiative for Excellent Young Researchers (LEADER)" of MEXT (http://www.mext.go.jp/component/a_menu/science/detail/__icsFiles/afieldfile/2017/03/06/1381348_1_2_1.pdf) but since it is a public invitation separately from the above program, it is not mandatory to apply for the outstanding researcher project. We select a candidate for excellence researcher and applicant for this public offering together, and we plan to hire one person.
A tenure-track faculty position for a prospective new international leader in an interdisciplinary field of "Microbiology in the forefront Biosciences".
2. Department & Laboratory:
Institute for Research Initiatives
3. Number of Positions:
One Tenure-Track Faculty Position (Associate Professor)
4. Starting Date:
October 1st, 2017 (or the earliest possible date afterwards)
5. Tenure Track Term:
Five Years (Within this term there will be a three-year evaluation and a five- year tenure review) to become a full permanent professor (Tenure review may be held at the mid-term evaluation if the appointee's performance is evaluated highly.)
Microbiology in the forefront of Biosciences:
Innovative research of microbiology based on molecular biology, cell biology, biochemistry and genome science.
For example, NAIST is seeking a younger researcher who can promote the research on host-microbe interactions to create the healthy longevity or product design using innovative technologies such as metabolome and synthetic biology.
- Ph.D. (received within the past approximately 10 years)
- Excellent academic achievements in the above field
- A person who will enthusiastically promote the education and research of the Graduate School of Biological Sciences, while performing frontier research
8. Selection Criteria:
- A person deemed having enough career experience and ability in the field of "Microbiology in the forefront of Biosciences".
- A person who is expected to develop an original interdisciplinary field of "Microbiology in the forefront of Biosciences" and become an international leader in this field within three to five years.
9. Terms of Employment:
- Workdays: Monday through Friday excluding the following holidays
- Holidays: Saturday, Sunday, national holidays, the end/beginning of the year and the anniversary of the founding of NAIST (October 1st)
- Working hours are left to the professor's discretion
annual salary of more than JPY 7,000,000 (approximately USD 62,000), dependent on career and qualifications
Employees' Health Insurance, Employees' Pension, workers' accident insurance and employment insurance
12. Research Support:
- Start-up Allowance
Up to JPY 16,000,000 (approximately USD 141,600) in total within the first three fiscal years
- Research space: 120 m2
- Facilities Available
Integrated information processing system "Mandara", Animal experiment facility, Greenhouses, Genetic analyzer (DNA Sequencer, Real-time PCR etc.) Microscopy (Electron microscopy, Confocal Laser Scanning Microscopy etc.) Protein Sequencer, Mass Spectroscopy (MALDI-TOF MS, GC-MS), Fluorescence Correlation Spectroscopy, Flow Cytometry system, In vivo Imaging analyzer)
- Academic Support
Assignment of one or two mentor professors for advice and guidance
One post-doctorate staff for the first three years
Several master course students every year and doctorate course students as needed
13. Tenure Review Criteria:
- Satisfactory academic and research achievements (scientific papers, presentations in international conferences, research funding, master's thesis instruction, etc.)
- Skilled laboratory management with good judgment and personality, demonstrating ability to serve as NAIST faculty.
- Expected to develop an original interdisciplinary field of "Advanced Microbiology" and become an international leader in this field.
14. Post upon attaining tenure status:
15. Application Materials:
- NAIST format curriculum vitae (download from the site below)
- List of research and education achievements (NAIST format, download from the site below)
- Considerations and expectations towards education and research (2 pages, A4 size)
- Names and contact information of two references
16. Selection procedure:
- First selection: document screening
- Second selection: Interview by faculty members and a seminar presentation
17. All documents must arrived no later than
July 20th, 2017 (Japan Standard Time)
18. All documents should be sent to the following address:
Professor Hajime Iida, Institute for Research Initiative, Nara Institute of Science and Technology, Takayama, Ikoma, Nara 630-0192, Japan
Write 'Job Application' in red on the front of the envelope.
All documents will only be used for the screening and will not be used for any other purposes.
The application documents will not be returned.
19. For inquires please contact:
Akira Tanaka, Institute for Research Initiatives, Nara Institute of Science and Technology, 8916-5 Takayama, Ikoma, Nara 630-0192, Japan
E-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org TEL:+81-743-72-5614 FAX:+81-743-72-5194