Announcement of Tenure-Track Faculty Position Opening,
System Control and Robotics in the forefront of Information Science
Nara Institute of Science and Technology, Japan
OutlineNara Institute of Science and Technology (NAIST) invites applications for a tenure-track position (Associate Professor) supported by the "Program for Promoting Enhancement of Research Universities" of the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT). NAIST is seeking an excellent and ambitious candidate who can promote cutting-edge and interdisciplinary research in the field of "System Control and Robotics." The successful applicant will be provided with an independent research environment that includes startup research funding. The appointee recognized as competent after both the midterm evaluation held in the third year and the final evaluation in the fifth year will be promoted to the status of a full-time tenured Professor. This public invitation is for the same position as is being presented at "Leading Initiative for Excellent Young Researchers (LEADER)" of MEXT and therefore, even though it is a public invitation separately from the above project, it is not mandatory to also apply to the above project. NAIST will select candidates from both the Leading Initiative for Excellent Young Researchers project and this public announcement, with the goal of hiring only one person.
1. DescriptionA tenure-track faculty position for a prospective new international leader in an interdisciplinary field of "System Control and Robotics."
2. Department & LaboratoryInstitute for Research Initiatives
3. Number of PositionsOne Tenure-Track Faculty Position (Associate Professor)
4. Starting DateOctober 1st, 2018 (or the earliest possible date afterwards)
5. Tenure Track TermFive years to become a full permanent professor (Within this term there will be a three-year evaluation and a five- year tenure review. The tenure review may be held at the mid-term evaluation if the appointee's performance is evaluated highly.)
6. FieldSystem Control and Robotics in the forefront of Information Science:
Innovative research of Information Science based on System Control and Robotics.
NAIST is seeking a younger researcher who can integrate the real world and its constituent elements, define future social systems and explore new (fusion) academic fields, regardless of conventional contrastive frameworks such as robots and people, and hardware and software. NAIST also expects him/her to have excellent research achievements and international research network related to new fundamental technologies and their applications leading to next generation robot systems.
- Ph.D. (received within the past approximately 10 years)
- Excellent academic achievements in the above field
- A person who will enthusiastically promote the education and research of the Division of Information Science, while performing frontier research
8. Selection Criteria
- A person deemed having enough career experience and ability in the field of "System Control and/or Robotics."
- A person who is deemed able to develop an original interdisciplinary field in "System Control and Robotics in the forefront of Information Science" and become an international leader in this field within three to five years.
9. Terms of Employment
- Workdays: Monday through Friday excluding the following holidays
- Holidays: Saturday, Sunday, national holidays, the end/beginning of the year and the anniversary of the founding of NAIST (October 1st)
- Working hours are left to the professor's discretion
10. RemunerationAnnual salary of more than JPY 7,000,000 (approximately USD 62,000), dependent on career and qualifications
11. InsuranceEmployees' Health Insurance, Employees' Pension, workers' accident insurance and employment insurance
12. Research Support
- Start-up Allowance
Up to JPY 16,000,000 (approximately USD141,600) in total within the first three fiscal years
- Research space: 120m2
- Facilities Available
Advanced ITC facilities on campus (Hi-speed network, computer servers for multi-use and scientific calculation, a cloud platform for a large-scale experiment, and so on.) are possible to use.
- Academic Support
Assignment of one or two mentor professors for advice and guidance
One post-doctorate staff member for the first three years
Several master course students every year and doctorate course students as needed
13. Tenure Review Criteria
- Satisfactory academic and research achievements (journal papers, presentations at international conferences, research funding, master's thesis instruction, etc.)
- Record of skilled laboratory management with good judgment and character, demonstrating ability to serve as NAIST faculty.
- Shows promise of developing an original interdisciplinary field in System Control and Robotics and becoming an international leader in this field.
14. Post upon attaining tenure statusProfessor
15. Application Materials
- NAIST format curriculum vitae (download from the site below)
- List of research and education achievements (NAIST format, download from the site below)
- Considerations and expectations towards education and research (2 pages, A4 size)
- Names and contact information of two references
16. Selection procedure
- First selection: document screening
- Second selection: Interview by faculty members and a seminar presentation
17. Deadline for applicationsAll documents must arrived no later than July 19th, 2018 (Japan Standard Time)
18. All documents should be sent to the following addressProfessor Hajime Iida, Institute for Research Initiative, Nara Institute of Science and Technology, Takayama, Ikoma, Nara 630-0192, Japan
Write 'Job Application' in red on the front of the envelope.
All documents will only be used for the screening and will not be used for any other purposes.
The application documents will not be returned.
19. For inquires please contactResearch and International Affairs Department, Nara Institute of Science and Technology, 8916-5 Takayama, Ikoma, Nara 630-0192, Japan