NAIST supports international Visiting Researchers in applying for visas to come to Japan. Please see below for details.
For long stays over 90 days
When a COE is necessary to obtain a visa, please contact the International Affairs Section, International Affairs Division (kokusai[at]ad.naist.jp) at least 2 months prior to the scheduled date of arrival to Japan (Considering immigration office procedures, if possible, 3 months in advance).
Once the COE application and materials are prepared, NAIST will apply for the COE at the immigration office in Japan on behalf of the researcher. The COE is then issued and sent directly to the NAIST (Usually takes about 1 month). Researchers apply individually for visas at the Japanese Embassy or Consulate in their home country with the COE.
Standard required documents for COE application
【 For the Visiting Researcher 】
- Application for Certificate of Eligibility （2. professor： PDF・WORD / 3. artist/academic：PDF・WORD）
- A copy of the researcher's passport（page with photos, passport number, etc.）
- The researcher's ID photo (JPEG data, taken within 3 months from face to shoulders, no background）
- Financial support statement
- The researcher's CV or resume
【 For accompanying dependents (spouses/children) 】
- Application for Certificate of Eligibility （11. dependent：PDF・WORD）
- A copy of the dependent's passport（page with photos, passport number, etc.）
- The dependents ID photo (JPEG data, taken within 3 months from face to shoulder, no background）
- Marriage certificates (for spouses), birth certificates (for children)
From COE application to visa acquisition
- As soon as all the necessary documents for the COE application are prepared, NAIST will apply for the COE at the immigration office in Japan.
- A COE is then issued and sent directly to the NAIST (This usually takes about 1 month).
- NAIST sends the COE to the researcher by EMS (express delivery). (Delivery usually takes about 1 week).
- Researchers apply individually for visas at the Japanese Embassy or Consulate in their home country with the COE and other required documents.
- Visa is issued (it takes about 1 week).
For short-term stay up to 90 days
Among the documents to be submitted with applications, the documents (1-3) are to be prepared by the host faculty member and sent to Visiting Researchers.
(Formats for 1 to 3 can be downloaded from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website)
- Invitation Letter
- Itinerary in Japan
- Letter of Guarantee
- NAIST's host faculty member's Certificate of Employment (Please ask the Personnel Section, Personnel Division to issue this certificate.)
Procedures for renewing the period of stay and changing status of residence
Visiting Researchers must apply to the Immigration Bureau for renewal of period of stay, change of status of residence, etc. If approval of the NAIST's President is required for any documents to be submitted with the application, please contact the International Affairs Section, International Affairs Division at (kokusai[at]ad.naist.jp).