On April 1, 2022, we announced the "Co-Creation Community Declaration". This Declaration sets forth three goals for NAIST to become a community that recognizes the diversity of its members as it pursues the creation of new value through the exchange of opinions with courtesy and empathy. We value our individual differences and pursue mutual understanding and respect while rejecting discrimination. In order to realize these goals, we have established the following action plan which outlines the activities to be addressed from FY2022 to FY2027.
【１】Deepen understanding of diversity and gender equality
- Organization of seminars to deepen understanding of diversity and gender equality.
- Maintenance of gender statistics (promotion, hiring, performance, etc.) (from FY2023)
- Conducting surveys to identify issues related to diversity and gender equality (from FY2023)
- Interaction between international and Japanese students and local residents
- Management and support of international and Japanese student cultural exchange in shared student housing
【2】 Improvement and enhancement of the work and study environments
- Inspection and revision of NAIST regulations related to gender information (from FY2023)
- Consultation and training by outside experts on diverse gender identities, etc. (from FY2023)
- Promotion of flexible work styles (introduction of staggered hours with open eligibility, flextime, variable work systems, etc.) (from FY2023).
- Employment measures for substitute instructors, staff, etc. during maternity leave
- Checking and ensuring accessibility (language, visual and auditory, access inside and outside buildings, etc.) in the work and study environments
- Placement of sanitary napkins in restrooms on campus
- Renovation of restrooms in the division complex buildings (by the end of FY2027)
- Creation of an environment that balances work and school attendance with child rearing, including the provision of an on-campus childcare center (by FY2024).
【3】 Promote discussions that enhance research capabilities and ensure the diversity of constituents
- Promotion of open recruitment of faculty and staff with diverse backgrounds and experiences through female-only open recruitment and tenure-track quotas, and promotion of young faculty members with sufficient achievements to higher positions.
- Promotion of initiatives to increase the number of students with diverse backgrounds and experiences (establishment of "Partner University Preferred Selection Program", review of curricula and educational programs to enable acceptance of students with diverse academic backgrounds (including those not related to science and technology), and online interviews for entrance examinations)
- Creation of inclusive experimental protocols (procedures, etc.) to ensure that faculty, staff, and students with diverse backgrounds and experiences can safely engage in research activities
- Active dissemination information on various research grants with unique support measures for international, female, and young researchers