Miwako Doi, Executive Director
With the rapid developments in science and technology and the speed of their penetration into society, we can see that there are cases where the social responsibility cannot keep up with these developments. In this state, research and development with an understanding of their social issues and the follow-up necessary after their penetration to society are coming to be increased demands for university education and research. I hope to contribute in any way to the research to investigate and acquire specialized knowledge and education to develop the insight to predict societal impact conducted here at NAIST.
- 1979 :
- Entered Tokyo Shibaura Electrical Corporation (Currently Toshiba Corp.)
- 1999-2005 :
- Chief Researcher, Research and Development Center, Toshiba Corp.
- 2001 :
- Ph.D, the University of Tokyo
- 2005-2007 :
- NAIST Adjunct Lecturer
- 2005 :
- Council Member, 20th Science Council of Japan
- 2005-2008 :
- Senior Fellow, Research and Development Center, Toshiba Corp.
- 2008-2014 :
- Chief Fellow, Research and Development Center, Toshiba Corp.
- 2011-2012 :
- Council Member, 22nd & 23rd Science Council of Japan
- 2013 :
- Invited Professor, Graduate School of Information Science and Technology, Osaka University
- 2014 :
- Auditor, National Institute of Information and Communications Technology
- 2014-2016 :
- Visiting Researcher, Intelligent Robotics and Communications Laboratory, Advanced Telecommunications Research Institute International
- 2014 :
- Visiting Professor Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology
- 2015-2017 :
- Council Member, NAIST Administrative Council
- 2015 :
- Member of the Board, Nomura Research Institute
- 2016 :
- Adjunct Board Member, Japan Transport Safety Board, Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism
- 2017-present :
- Executive Director, NAIST
Information Science (Human Interfacing)
Academic and Social Activities
- IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers)
(Positions including: 2011 - 2014 Member, IEEE Medal for Environmental & Safety Technologies Committee; 2013 - 2013 Member, IEEE Fellow Committee)
- The Institute of Electronics, Information and Communication Engineers
(Positions including: 2001 - 2003 Head, Human Information Processing Research Group; 2004 - 2006 Tokyo Branch General Affairs Advisor; 2013 - 2015 Director of General Affairs)
- Information Processing Society of Japan
(Positions including: 2004 - 2006 Director; 2007 - 2009 Vice President)
- The Institute of Electrical Engineers of Japan
(Positions including: 2011 - 2012 Director; 2012 - 2013 Vice President)
- The Institute of Image Information and Television Engineers
(2014 - 2015 Succeeding Chairperson; 2015 - 2016 Chairperson)
- Human Interface Society
(Positions including: 2001 - 2005 Director; 2007 - 2010 Vice Chairperson; 2010 - 2012 Chairperson)
Awards and Recognition
- 1996 Incentive Award of Kanto Local Commendation for Invention "Inventions Involving Hypertext"
- 1997 Incentive Award of Kanto Local Commendation for Invention "Inventions Involving Chart and Diagram Anchoring"
- 1998 Prize of National Commendation for Invention "Inventions Involving Chart and Diagram Anchoring"
- 1998 Best Product of World PC EXPO in Technology Category
- 1999 President Encouragement Prize of the Patent Attorney Association in Kanagawa
- 2001 Incentive Award of Kanto Local Commendation for Invention "Translation Document Editing Technology"
- 2002 Best Author Award, Information Processing Society of Japan "How users view 'information' home appliances"
- 2004 Achievement Prize, The Institute of Electronics, Information and Communication Engineers "Development and Practical Implementation of Human Interface Technology for Document Processing"
- 2008 Achievement Prize, Information Processing Society of Japan "For Contributions to the Journal"
- 2008 Fellow "For Contributions to Human Interface Technology focused on Document Processing, Information Processing Society of Japan
- 2009 DICOMO2009 Best Paper Award "Easy-to-use Verbal Input Interface using Multiple Sensors and Natural Language Processing Technology", Information Processing Society of Japan
- 2009 Distinguished Achievement and Contributions Award, Information Processing Society of Japan
- 2010 Fellow "For Contributions to Human Interface Technology focused on Document Processing", The Institute of Electronics, Information and Communication Engineers
- 2011 IEEE Fellow for contributions to the human interface of document processing
- 2011 Interactive Presentation Award Co-recipient "An Activity Analyzer that recognizes everyday activity acceleration and sound", Interaction 2011 Symposium of Information Processing Society of Japan
- 2011 Letter of Appreciation for Cooperation for Wise Chuo Co-recipient
- 2012 Award of the Minister of Internal Affairs and Communications, The Council for Info-communications Promotion Month
- 2012 Best Paper Award Co-recipient "Activity Analyzer: A Real-time Life Activity Recognition System using cellphone sensors", Information Processing Society of Japan's Ubiquitous Computing System Research Group 30th Research Presentation
- 2014 Commendation Science and Technology Award in the Science and Technology Category, MEXT Minister
- 2014 Distinguished Achievement and Contributions Award, The Institute of Electronics, Information and Communication Engineers
- 2016 Special Award, International Telecommunication Union Association of Japan
- 2016 Fellow, The Japanese Federation of Engineering Societies
PublicationsSole Author Works
ICT Forecasts for the Future, Miwako Doi, Kyoritsu Smart Selection, 2016.Co-authored & Cooperative Works
- AI, Neuros and Fuzzy Handbook, Ohmsha Publishing, 1992.
- Human Interface, Ohmsha Publishing, 1998.
- Encyclopedia: Handbook of Electronics, Information and Communications, Ohmsha Publishing, 1998
Multimedia Information Processing (Ch. 8) of Information Processing (Art 21) Edited by Nobuhiko Tsunefuka, Ohmsha Publishing, 1999.
(Information Processing (Art 21) Edited by Nobuhiko Tsunefuka, Ohmsha Publishing & Chinese Academy of Sciences Science Press, 2001.)
- Image Information Media Handbook, Ohmsha Publishing, 2000.
- A Description of Knowledge through Metadata (Ch. 9) of The Necessary 8 Requirements for 2010 Contents Industry: d-commerce Declaration, Edited by The Engineering Academy of Japan & Science Council of Japan, ASCII Books, 2004.
- Software Mastery Techniques, Yu Arai, Fumiaki Yoshimatsu, Miwako Doi, Chieko Asakawa, Masayoshi Hagiwara, Tomoharu Asami, Hiroaki Takada, Takamitsu Ida, Nikkei Business Publications, Inc., 2005.
- A Survey of the Forefront of Science and Technology, Edited by Ohm Editing Department, Ohmsha, 2006.
- Network Robot: Technical and Legal Issues, Ohmsha, 2007.
- The Global Development of Real Space Knowledge (Section 10, Chapter 2) A Green New Deal, Edited by the Center for Research and Development Strategy of the Japan Science and Technology Agency, Maruzen Planet, Co., 2009.
- Robotic Localization Service Standard for Ubiquitous Network Robots, Shuichi Nishio, Jae Yeong Lee, Wonpil Yu, Yeonho Kim, Itsuki Noda, Takashi Tsubouchi, Miwako Doi, Robotics 2010 Current and Future Challenges, Houssem Abdellatif ed., pp.381-400, InTech, 2010.
- Utilizing Location Information and Distribution: Revolutionizing Application through Robot Service, Edited by Miwako Doi, Ryosuke Shibasaki, & Shuichi Nishio, Ohmsha, 2010.