Executive Director/Vice President
The mission of NAIST, a graduate-only research university, is to continuously produce outstanding research and excellent human resources with high-level expertise in advanced science and technology. NAIST begins a new challenge to solve global issues such as the SDGs with this mission. The goal can be achieved by further strengthening the excellence and diversity of academic research in NAIST and creating industry-academia collaboration and innovation to solve social issues.
- 1992 :
- Ph.D, the University of Tokyo
- 1983-1992 :
- Research Scientist, Central Research Laboratory, Mitsubishi Electric Corp., Hyogo, Japan
- 1992-1993 :
- Visiting Scholar, Optoelectronic Computing Systems Center, University of Colorado at Boulder, CO, USA.
- 1993-1995 :
- Research Scientist, Advanced Tech. R&D Center, Mitsubishi Electric Corp., Hyogo, Japan
- 1995-1998 :
- Group Manager, Advanced Tech. R&D Center, Mitsubishi Electric Corp., Hyogo, Japan
- 1998-2004 :
- Associate Professor, Graduate School of Materials Science, NAIST
- 2004-2018 :
- Professor, Graduate School of Materials Science, NAIST
- 2017-2018 :
- Director of Division of Materials Science, Graduate School of Science and Technology, NAIST
- 2018-present :
- Professor, Division of Materials Science, Graduate School of Science and Technology, NAIST
- 2018-2021 :
- Director of Division of Materials Science, NAIST
- Executive Director and Vice President, NAIST
CMOS devices for biomedical applications
Academic and Social Activities
- JST PRESTO Advisory Board Member (2016-Present)
- JSPS University-Industry Cooperative Research Committee, No.125 Board Member（2008-Present），No. 174 Board Member (2006-Present)
- IEEJ, Sensor and Micromachine Society Board Member (2016-2019)
- IET Bord Member (2012-2013)
- IEEE Fellow Committee (2021)
- IEEE Distinguished Lecturer (SSC) (2018-2019)
- Technical Program Committee Chair (2018), Co-General Chair (2019), IEEE BioCAS
- Program Committee Vice Chair, SSDM 2016
- Editorial Board Member, Jpn. J. Apply. Phys., APEX (2018-Present), J. Eng., IET (2013-Present), Sensors and Materials (2017-Present)
- Associate Editor, IEEE Sensor J. (2014-2017), IEEE Trans. BioCAS (2018-Present)
Awards and Recognition
- Fellow, IEEE (2021)
- Fellow, JSAP (2014)
- Fellow, ITE Japan (2012)
- IEICE Electronics Society Achievement Award (2018)
- Best Demo Paper Award in Symposia on VLSI Technology and Circuits (2018)
- The Izuo Hayashi Award, JSAP (2009)
- The Takayanagi Award, ITE Japan (2007)
- The National Commendation for Invention (2001)
- The Ichimura Award (1996)
- IEICE Best Paper Award (1992)
- J. Ohta, Smart CMOS Image Sensors and Applications, 2nd Ed., CRC Press, 2021.
- J. Ohta, "Implantable CMOS Imaging Devices" in Implantable Bioelectronics by Evgeny Katz (Ed.), WILEY-VCH, 2014.
- J. Ohta, "Artificial Retina IC" in Bio-Medical CMOS ICs by H.-J. Yoo and C. Hoof (Eds.), Springer, 2011.
- Y. Sunaga, Y. Ohta, Y.M. Akay, J. Ohta, M. Akay, "Monitoring Neural Activities in the VTA in Response to Nicotine Intake Using a Novel Implantable Microimaging Device," IEEE Access, 8, 68013 -68020, 2020.
- M. Haruta, Y. Kurauchi, M. Ohsawa, C. Inami, R. Tanaka, K. Sugie, A. Kimura, Y. Ohta, T. Noda, K. Sasagawa, T. Tokuda, H. Katsuki, J. Ohta, "Chronic brain blood-flow imaging device for a behavior experiment using mice," Biomed. Opt. Exp., 10(4), 1557-1566, 2019.
- H. Takehara, Y. Nakamoto, N. Ikeda, K.Sasagawa, M. Haruta, T. Noda, T. Tokuda, J. Ohta, "Compact Lensless Fluorescence Counting System for Single Molecular Assay," IEEE Trans. BioCAS.,12(5), 1177-1185, 2018.
- K. Sasagawa, A. Kimura, M. Haruta, T. Noda, T. Tokuda, J. Ohta, "Highly sensitive lens-free fluorescence imaging device enabled by a complementary combination of interference and absorption filters," Biomed. Opt. Exp., 9(9), 4329-4344, 2018.
- T. Tokuda, T. Ishizu, W. Nattakarn, M. Haruta, T. Noda, K. Sasagawa, M. Sawan, J. Ohta, "1 mm3-sized Optical Neural Stimulator based on CMOS Integrated Photovoltaic Power Receiver," AIP Adv., 8(4), 45018, 2018.
- J. Ohta, Y. Ohta, H. Takehara, T. Noda, K. Sasagawa, T. Tokuda, M. Haruta, T. Kobayashi, Y.M. Akay, M. Akay, "Implantable Microimaging Device for Observing Brain Activities of Rodents," Proc. IEEE, 105(1), 159-166, 2017.
- T. Kobayashi, M. Haruta, K. Sasagawa, M. Matsumata, K. Eizumi, C. Kitsumoto, M. Motoyama, Y. Maezawa, Y. Ohta, T. Noda, T. Tokuda, J. Ohta, "Optical communication with brain cells by means of an implanted duplex micro-device with optogenetics and Ca2+ fluoroimaging," Sci. Rep., 6: 21247, 2016.