While Japan is an internationalized, modern country where you can find almost everything you need to live, the market here is naturally focused on the Japanese buyer. Also, NAIST is located in a fairly rural area, some selections available at stores may be limited. (Many students recommend checking Amazon when shopping.) Many students and scholars say they regret not bringing certain items with them to Japan or not bringing any comfort foods from home. Some people find the cost of many items quite expensive and recommend bringing as much as possible, while others prefer to shop in Japan and explore what can be found in the Japanese stores. We surveyed some of the international community at NAIST and below is a list of some things that were suggested.
※Please check in advance about quarantine and customs for whether the items you will carry can be exported from your country and imported to Japan legally.
- Food (spices, herbs, etc.)
- Clothes (Bigger-sized clothes and shoes, long-sleeved T-shirts for Muslim women)
- Shoes that are easy to slip on and off
- Extra eyeglasses or contacts
- Medicine (Japanese Medicines are weak, the instruction is only written in Japanese)
- Deodorant, hair wax, etc.
- Shampoo and soap
- Textbooks (More expensive in Japan)
- SIM-free mobile phones
- Seals (to open a bank account)
- Power adapter (depending on your country's power system)
- Driver's license (It can be very difficult to get a license in Japan because the instructors at driving schools don't speak English. Changing your original license to a Japanese one may be easier.)
- Gifts (Small gifts for people you meet)
- Pictures from home
CISS (Center for International Students and Scholars) :ciss[at]ad.naist.jp
For inquiries or further information you may contact the respective section below:
- For information concerning international students
International Student Affairs Section: ryugaku[at]ad.naist.jp
- For information concerning NAIST employees & international scholars employed by NAIST
Welfare Section (Personnel Division): fukuri[at]ad.naist.jp
- For information concerning other international scholars
International Affairs Section: kokusai[at]ad.naist.jp