Staff of the International Student Affairs Section visit the Immigration Bureau approximately once a month to handle applications related to students' status of residence. Dates of visits to the Immigration Bureau will be notified by e-mail. If you need to submit an application, contact the International Student Affairs Section.

If you need to extend your current status of residence, you must apply for an Extension of Period of Stay. You may apply for this during the three months before your period of stay expires.

Required Documents

  1. Application for Extension of Period of Stay [Excel]
  2. Certificate of enrollment or/and Admission certificate of enrollment or progress to next course
  3. Transcript (or description of research for doctoral and research students)
  4. Passport
  5. Residence card
  6. 4,000 yen (fee)
  7. Certificate of financial support (for those who receives scholarships) or copy of bank passbook


  • International Students who have obtained "permission to engage in activities other than that permitted under the status of residence previously granted (work permission)" should reapply for this when extending their status of residence.