Special Research Student (Request for Supervision of Research)

In the case of a request for placement of a student from another graduate university as a Special Research Student at our institute, permission is granted by the Dean of the graduate school concerned based on consultations between the two universities and faculty meetings.

Application Procedures

Applicants should submit their application, using the attached application form with a certificate of student registration, to our Academic Affairs Section by way of their Graduate University.

Term of Research

Ordinarily the term of research is one year or less. However, in the case of a doctoral student with special requirements with regard to their research, extension may be granted based on a request from the student's graduate university. Extensions cannot be granted to master's students.

Student Identification Card

In order to issue you with a student identification card, please submit a photograph (3.0 cm x 2.4 cm) after admission.

Tuition Fees

  1. No examination or entrance fees are charged.
  2. No tuition fees are charged for students from national universities in Japan.
  3. Students from municipal, private or foreign universities must pay the same tuition fees as research students of our institute. However, students from universities that have an academic exchange agreement with NAIST may have their tuition fees exempted in some cases. Please contact us for further details.

Bringing biological resources to NAIST

If you plan to bring biological resources from outside Japan (including your country) to NAIST, please inform the following contact point in advance. Procedures are necessary for the transfer of samples to Japan in compliance with any applicable national legislation and international treaties and conventions, such as the Convention on Biological Diversity. (Email: ip-3f[at]ip.naist.jp)

Application Form


Accepting procedures for Special Research Students
International Student Affairs Section: ryugaku[at]ad.naist.jp