If you possess a valid passport and resident card and will reenter Japan within 1 year of your departure to continue your activities in Japan, you will, in principle, not be required to apply for a reentry permit.
( This is called a special re-entry permit.)

※ Be sure to present your resident card at departure.

If you have departed from Japan on a special re-entry permit, you will not be able to extend this permit while abroad. Please note that in such cases, you will lose resident status if you fail to re-enter Japan within 1 year of your departure.

Required Documents

  1. Application for Re-Entry Permit [EXCEL]
  2. Passport
  3. Residence Card
  4. Handling charge (3,000 yen/ single entry, 6,000 yen/ multiple entry)