Updated on August 4th, 2020
The interviews of doctoral course entrance examinations (2020 fall admission 2nd/ 2021 spring admission 1st) will be conducted online using video conference system, Cisco Webex Meeting.
- Q1What is "Cisco Webex Meeting"?
- A1 "Cisco Webex Meeting is free software for video conferences.
You need to download the software to the device you will use for the interview in advance.
Android OS: Search Google Play for "Cisco Webex Meeting" and download it.
iOS: Search App Store for "Cisco Webex Meeting"and download it.
For more details, please also look at here
- Q2Which is preferable, a computer or a smart phone for the online interview?
- A2 You can use either one, but a computer is recommended.
If you will use a smart phone for the interview, make sure to adjust the settings so you won't be interrupted by calls or messages unrelated to the examination.
If you have any materials to show for your presentation, you'll be required to use function "share screen" of Webex.
- Q3In what cases is the telephone used?
- A3 We sometimes use the telephone to give technical support or to reschedule online interviews. If there are connection troubles, in rare cases the interview will be done by telephone.
Be sure to have the telephone you wrote on the Application (Contact adress) Form available.
- Q4Can I check how to operate Cisco Webex Meeting by myself before the online interview?
- A4All the applicants must confirm how to operate Cisco Webex beforehand. The test website for both PCs and smartphones is: (https://www.webex.com/test-meeting.html)
- Q5How early should I join the meeting before the interview starts?
- A5 A notice of the exact time will be included with the examination voucher. Please read it carefully in advance and prepare for the interview.
- Q6Where should I look at during the online interview using Cisco Webex Meeting?
- A6 Try to look at the camera you are using.
If you look around too much, the interviewers may ask you to confirm whether this is to cheat or not.
- Q7What should I do when it's difficult to hear the voice of interviewers?
- A7 First, please try to adjust the volume of your device. If this doesn't work, please ask the interviewers for instructions.
If the interviewers can't hear your voice, they will try to contact you by chat, phone, e-mail, etc.
- Q8What location is preferable for taking the online interview?
- A8 Please take the online interview at your home or at the university/college you currently belong to whenever possible, securing a quiet space that others will not enter during the interview. If the environment is deemed not suitable for the interview, the interviewers may stop it.
※We will check the location you use from the viewpoint of fraud prevention with the video camera, so please be careful not to show anything which you wish to remain private.
※If you need to take the interview at a hotel, rental meeting room, etc., please confirm the facility's current information, reservations, etc. NAIST is not responsible for these.
- Q9What should I do if I have problems with the connection on the day of the online?
- A9 ＜Before the online interview＞
Please refer to the notice sent with examination voucher. There is contact information for technical support.
＜During the online interview＞
Please wait calmly until the interviewer contact you by chat, phone, or e-mail.
If the connection trouble cannot be solved during the interview, the interview may be rescheduled to the later time or date. In that case, please follow the interviewers' instructions.
- Q10Can I take the online interview with microphone and speaker built in the computer or smartphone?
- A10 Yes, but there are some cases where it is difficult to communicate using built-in microphones and speakers in computers and smartphone. (i.e. poor sound quality, noisy echo, etc.)
It's ideal to use a head-set or earphones with a microphone, but if it's not possible, using earphones or headphones along with a built-in microphone will help you to avoid any trouble.
- For Inquiries:
- Admissions Section
Educational Affairs Division
Nara Institute of Science and Technology
8916-5 Takayama, Ikoma Nara 630-0192 Japan